There is something very cathartic and homestead about cutting up a pumpkin and making a soup out of it. I also made sure to make a few medicinal adjustments to the original recipe, as I always do.
2 Tbls ghee
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 large sweet potatoes
1 small pumpkin, stem and seeds discarded, 1” cubes
3 cups bone broth
2 t freshly grated ginger
Juice of 1 lemon
½ tsp Sun Potion Astragalus (for boosted immunity)
1 pinch grated nutmeg
salt and freshly ground pepper
4 sliced bacon, diced (optional for protein)
5 fresh sage leaves
1. Heat the ghee in a large cast iron pot and sauté the onion, sage, ginger and garlic.
2. Add the sweet potatoes and pumpkin. Cook for a few minutes, stirring.
3. Stir in the bone broth and astragalus, and cook for 25 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
4. Puree all in a blender. Add a bit more broth if needed to thin.
5. Season with lemon juice, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
6. (optional) Fry the bacon in a small pan until crisp.
7. (optional) Add the bacon and extra sautéed sage to the soup, drizzle with the olive oil and season with fresh pepper.