Today I have a summer beet soup for you to try. If you are not a fan of mint you can use dill or other herbs that you like. As you know, I love fresh herbs in my soups, especially now that they are so abundant. This is such an easy and healthy recipe. It is great alongside a grain-based salad. For a sweeter variation replace 1 c. of the water with 1 c. fresh orange juice, it’s delicious.
SUMMER BEET SOUP WITH MINT
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 medium purple onion, diced
- 4 medium beets, roughly chopped
- 3 c. water or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. mirin (optional)
- Himalayan salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh mint
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Warm the coconut oil in the pot. Sauté the onions until translucent.
- Add the beets, water, and mirin. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes until the beets are tender.
- Puree with and immersion blender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls with a pinch or two of fresh mint.
This soup will keep 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge. It can be eaten warm or chilled.